A number of short films provide an insight into the SDC’s mission
In December 2011 Switzerland and Benin celebrated the 30th anniversary of the cooperation agreement between the two countries. A number of events took place on the spot to mark this anniversary.
Website of the SDC in Benin: www.cooperation-suisse.admin.ch/benin/
Benin has been an SDC priority country since 1983.
Switzerland focuses its activities on the poorer areas in the north of the country (the Borgou and Alibori administrative regions). The SDC’s aim is to reduce poverty and inequality by helping women,
men, children and institutions to develop their potential through their own efforts. The 2008-2012 Switzerland-Benin cooperation strategy provides for three main areas of activity: decentralisation
and local development, adult literacy, as well as economic development in rural areas. Switzerland has also provided general budget assistance and uses the political dialogue with the government of
Benin and with other development cooperation partners to strengthen governance and promote gender equality. The Cotonou Cooperation Office plays an active role in implementing the Paris Declaration
on Aid Effectiveness as well as in coordinating and harmonising international aid.
|Swiss International Cooperation||2011
|Bilateral development cooperation||8.49||17.44||15.00|
|State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO)|
|Economic Cooperation and Development||–||–||–|
|Other Federal Offices|
|Total other Federal Offices||–||–||–|
|Cantons and municipalities||0.51||..||..|
SDC figures excluding program contributions to NGOs
.. = figures not available | – = nil or amount < 5'000 CHF
Development Cooperation: Priorities
- Decentralisation and local development: strengthening decentralisation and democratic processes at local level through grass-roots participation in decision-making and monitoring of the public sector; supporting local communities in carrying out their tasks; improving public services that meet people’s needs; general budgetary assistance; supporting government and civil society with planning, implementing and monitoring the national poverty-reduction strategy; strengthening independent media.
- Education and literacy: promoting literacy and education among young people and adults; improving the quality of education; strengthening national adult-education institutions.
- Economic development in rural areas: strengthening the economic players; encouraging markets that function and are also accessible to disadvantaged population groups; supporting entrepreneurs in the agro-pastoral and other areas of production and in the service sector; promoting institutional development at local and national level.
- Gender equality: equal treatment for women and men in political dialogue with the government and with partners in all SDC programmes; including girls in the formal education system (primary school to university.
- Governance: encouraging good governance in political dialogue with the government and with partners in all SDC programmes.
In pursuing its development cooperation activities, the SDC works with the following partners:
- the government of Benin, in particular government offices in charge of activities that are SDC priorities;
- Swiss and local non-governmental organizations;
- local associations of farmers and craftsmen, parents and other groups; other bilateral donor countries, international and multilateral organizations such as the EU, the World Bank and UN organizations.
Background information Benin
|Source: World Bank's World Development Indicators 2013|
Background information provided by the BBC
Local SDC contact address:
Bureau de la Coopération Suisse au Bénin
|Phone||+229 21 31 47 37
+229 21 31 47 38
|Fax||+229 21 31 47 55|
Here, you will find more publications, links, documents and articles about Swiss development cooperation and humanitarian aid in this country.