New publication «10 stories – 10 years of SDC engagement in Afghanistan»
Cooperation Office opened 10 years ago
Conference on Afghan Displacement
- Swiss Cooperation Strategy Afghanistan 2012 – 2014
Download (PDF, 796 KB) : [en]
Website of the SDC in Afghanistan: www.swiss-cooperation.admin.ch/afghanistan/
The SDC has been working to support the people of Afghanistan for more than 30 years. Since the overthrow of the Taliban regime in 2002, the SDC has concentrated its activities on meeting the enormous needs of the most vulnerable population groups, such as internally displaced persons (IDPs), returnees to Afghanistan and refugees in neighbouring Iran and Pakistan. Since 2004 the Swiss Programme in Afghanistan has gradually evolved to become a longer-term engagement for development and reconstruction. SDC activities in the country now focus on promoting good governance and respect for human rights as well as an improvement in the living conditions of disadvantaged segments of the population. In so doing, the SDC is contributing to the sustainable reduction of poverty and a favourable development environment.
|Swiss International Cooperation||2011
|Bilateral development cooperation||16.52||19.59||18.00|
|State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO)|
|Economic Cooperation and Development||–||–||–|
|Other Federal Offices|
|FDFA Human Security Division and Directorate of International Law||0.14||–||–|
|Federal Office for Migration (FOM)||0.04||–||..|
|Total other Federal Offices||0.18||–||–|
|Cantons and municipalities||0.23||..||..|
SDC figures excluding program contributions to NGOs
.. = figures not available | – = nil or amount < 5'000 CHF
Development Cooperation: Priorities
- Good governance: strengthening government structures, civil society and local organisations; institutional development at all levels; human rights; reform of the justice and security sector; decentralisation; advancement of women; conflict prevention and transformation.
- Social and economic development: improvement of income opportunities through landscape diversification, higher crop yields and efficient cattle farming; promotion of small and medium-sized enterprises; raising awareness and prevention in the field of health; elementary schooling and the general quality of education; provision of water supplies and sanitation.
- The principles of gender equality, youth advancement and conflict sensitivity are applied in all projects.
Reference points for the SDC Programme in Afghanistan are the government’s strategy to reduce poverty in accordance with the Afghanistan National Development Strategy (ANDS) as well as the international community’s Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
SDC is a member of various Consultative Groups and cooperates with the following partners in Afghanistan:
- Government at central, provincial and district levels.
- Local partner organisations, such as the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission, the Afghanistan Civil Society Organisation, the Civil Society and Human Rights Network, and the Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit.
- UN and international organisations, including UNDP, UNHCR, IKRK, and WFP.
- Other donor nations in co-financing arrangements (e.g. Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Canada, UK etc.) as well as within the framework of consultative and coordination groups.
- Non-governmental organisations such as Helvetas, Terre des Hommes Lausanne, Intercooperation, Oxfam UK, the Aga Khan Foundation, AfghanAid, and Global Rights.
Humanitarian Aid: Priorities
The following areas are supported with Humanitarian Aid funds:
- Reintegration and protection of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs): SDC contributes to the programmes of its two multilateral partners UNHCR and ICRC in order to support the sustainable return and resettlement of refugees and IDPs to and within Afghanistan and the respect of their rights.
- Support of local humanitarian initiatives: The SDC funds local NGO projects which assist the socially disadvantaged and provide emergency humanitarian aid to victims of natural disasters.
Background information Afghanistan
.. = figures not available
Local SDC contact address:
SDC - Swiss Cooperation Office Afghanistan
|Phone||+93 202 301 565
|Fax||+93 202 302 299|
Here, you will find more publications, links, documents and articles about Swiss development cooperation and humanitarian aid in this country.