From May 2011 to May 2014, Switzerland will be occupying a seat on the Executive Board of the World Health Organization (WHO). Switzerland is committed to a strengthening of both the WHO and of
national healthcare systems.
Switzerland on the Executive Board
World Health Organization
The Geneva-based World Health Organisation, WHO, was set up in 1946. Since the 1990s its work has been focussed on the following:
- Global health warning service: documentation and information about contagious diseases and their causes as well as about related deaths
- Support for the establishment and expansion of efficient health services in developing countries: The priority is on primary health care through improvements in the food situation and the provision of drinking water as well as through the supply of essential medicaments
- Promotion of medical research and the fight against AIDS
The WHO 2010/2011 budget is USD 4.5 billion. In 2011/2012 Switzerland contributes CHF 11 million.
Additional Information and Documents
- Switzerland as a member of the Executive Board of the World Health Organization (WHO), 2011 - 2014
Download (PDF, 558 KB) : [de] [en] [fr]
- SDC Factsheet Multilateral organisations: WHO
Switzerland and the World Health Organization WHO
Download (PDF, 602 KB) : [de] [en] [fr]
- La Directrice générale de l'OMS en visite à Berne